- What is the difference between obscenity and indecency quizlet?
- What is considered indecent material?
- Is indecency protected under the First Amendment?
- What are the 3 tests for obscenity?
- What are obscene words?
- What are obscene pictures?
- What is the difference between obscenity and indecency?
- What is an example of obscenity?
- What is considered obscene?
What is the difference between obscenity and indecency quizlet?
What is the main difference between indecency and obscenity.
They both depict or describe sexual or excretory activities or organs in a patently offensive manner, but indecency need not arouse a prurient interest in sex..
What is considered indecent material?
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) defines indecent speech as material that, in context, depicts or describes sexual or excretory organs or activities in terms patently offensive as measured by contemporary community standards for the broadcast medium. …
Is indecency protected under the First Amendment?
Although indecent speech is protected by the First Amendment, speech in broadcast media has been restricted because of its omnipresence and its accessibility to children.
What are the 3 tests for obscenity?
The Miller test for obscenity includes the following criteria: (1) whether ‘the average person, applying contemporary community standards’ would find that the work, ‘taken as a whole,’ appeals to ‘prurient interest’ (2) whether the work depicts or describes, in a patently offensive way, sexual conduct specifically …
What are obscene words?
An obscenity is a dirty word or phrase. … They are obscenities, which are also known as swear words. You can also say that anything offensive or inappropriate is an obscenity. This can include things that are not only dirty, but things that are offensive in other ways.
What are obscene pictures?
1. a. Offensive to accepted standards of decency. b. Law Of or relating to materials that can be regulated or criminalized because their depiction of nudity, sex, or excretion is patently offensive and without artistic or scientific value.
What is the difference between obscenity and indecency?
– Obscenity: This category is so offensive that is deserves and receives no First Amendment protection. It can be regulated or outlawed at the will of the states. – Indecency: This category is “less offensive” than obscenity. … – Speech that doesn’t rise to the indecency level enjoys full First Amendment protection.
What is an example of obscenity?
An obscene remark, act, event, etc. Obscenity is an offensive word, expression or behavior. The “f” word or other swear words are an example of obscenity. See obscene material.
What is considered obscene?
Obscenity refers to a narrow category of pornography that violates contemporary community standards and has no serious literary, artistic, political or scientific value. For adults at least, most pornography — material of a sexual nature that arouses many readers and viewers — receives constitutional protection.